HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Monday 22 August 2016

Building Relationships and Breaking Stereotypes



Ghana: Building Relationships and Breaking Stereotypes

Ghana. A third world country. I am currently through to my eighth week of my International Citizens Service placement in Tolon, Ghana.  I have already been able to see through the stereotypes that have often been created for people back in the UK of developing countries. The opinions from the Western World, certainly the one in the UK of Africa is often one of severe poverty, and is often related to asking for donations to charities. Our view is often warped and misinformed, which I believe is largely influenced through our media. 

When is Africa ever featured in western media? Well, usually through TV advertisements. We are familiar with the Issues of; malaria, lack of water and severe poverty. I am not denying that these things happen and they are a huge problem, but I feel like the UK needs to also be aware of so much more than those limited issues. The main aim of our project is to help Income Generation Groups register as co-operatives. Through visiting my community in Yoggu, a fairly short distance from Tolon, I have seen such a strong sense of unity and spirit between them. Although they need our help, they were so happy and ready to listen us. 

During my placement, I am also required to stay with a host family with my Ghanaian Counterpart Amadu Atusi. Just from my experience so far here I have learned they are incredibly supportive, communicative, and try to help you in any way they can, along with having a brilliant work ethic which I genuinely feel inspired by. The children of my host home always try to help me whenever they feel like they can, and are always assisting their families. They even try and carry my work bag to my room when I’ve finished for the day! I feel like I’ve built such as positive relationship with my host family.


Me and my host family

The general public in Tolon I have noticed are so friendly and interactive and not just to us volunteers. I often hear the words of Tolon’s local language Dagbani “Dasiba” (Good morning) “Kadibewula” (How is it). In the UK, I would say we talk to people in the street a lot less, unless we specifically know them.
Tolon almost feels like a family and
 such a tight community as a whole.






It’s clear they may not have as much as the people from the UK, but they just get on with everything and have a brilliant attitude.

Before I came here I was required to visit York in England for my training day. While getting a bit lost on the way to the training, I was stopped by one of the locals who helped me along the way. After striking conversation he asked me what brought me to the area. When I told him I was here for training before I go to Africa, his first response was confusion on why I would want to go and explained to me about all the risks present over there!  Although I do not deny risks are present, Ghana to me is such a different place to anything I have ever experienced before and we need to get stereotypical views, such as this man’s, out of our minds.

I’d like the UK to change its perception as a whole. I strongly recommend those who haven’t seen it to check out a talk delivered by Nigerian Author, Feminist and Women rights activist, Chimanda Adichie. In this talk she discusses the danger of a single story and discusses the misguided views often created through the media and popular images. She discusses how there is never a single story of any place in the world, and when you have this single story you take away people’s dignity and forget about those thriving, running their own businesses and making a good life for themselves and their families.  I believe this is an important precedent we can all follow wherever we are in the world.
Me and my Host dad, Hasan


  
I know I haven’t been here in Tolon for an extremely long period of time and there are a lot of difficulties I am yet to experience. Coming from the UK, I feel very grateful for modern day things and for my family. However, we also need to recognise that despite the lack of access to these modern conveniences, Ghana is still a thriving nation with a strong identity and determined population. Mpahaya! J (Thankyou)

By Harry Stephenson, ICS Volunteer 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment