HOME       ABOUT NFED       OUR BLOGS

Monday 30 January 2017

Team Tolon: Finding our Feet

I’ve been assured by my UK Team Leader, Edd, that the first days of placement are the hardest. And so far no ones been taken ill, had an argument, or even fallen off their bicycle – so it would seem we aren’t doing too badly.

My first few days on my International Service placement in Tolon have been a mix of extreme highs and extreme lows. It is the beginning of what is looking to be an incredible experience, but life is simply so different to at home in the UK. At times it has been tough, but I can already sense myself growing stronger and more resilient because of it.

Our team has an eclectic mix of personalities and backgrounds, their skills ranging from accountancy to musical theatre. Below you will find a summary from each team member, outlining their motivations in getting involved with International Service, and their favourite moments so far.


“I signed up to the ICS programme because I love to help people in deprived areas. Also I love development work so this was a great opportunity for me to go into it. My favourite moment so far has been going to the enskinment of the new Chief of Vowqu, as well as visiting our placement communities. Skills I’ve learnt so far include how to manage people and their expectations.”  - Caleb


“I wanted to be a part of International Service ICS programme because I knew it would be a wonderful opportunity to be a part of Ghanaian culture and meet new people. As a team leader I get the opportunity to work with young people, linking the volunteers, International Service and the partner organisation to deliver a project with sustainable outcomes. My favourite moment was being asked to attend the enskinning of a new chief and showing him my dad dancing.” - Edd


“I chose ICS because I felt it was the right time to move out of my comfort zone, out of the classroom, to the outside world, to impact and to learn. My favourite moments so far have been meeting the communities we will be working in and also the fact we are placed in host homes within the community. More so, getting to share ideas during office hours makes me feel fulfilled. My placement on the finance team puts me on my toes as I have knowledge of this and must be ready to give results. I have a strong conviction that by the end of my stay in Tolon I will have built up my confidence in anything I go on to do.” - Nasmah


“Living in Tolon has been the biggest culture shock I’ve ever experienced. From being smothered by Ghanaian children on the way to work to eating unheard of food (ever heard of ‘fu fu’?). I have the most amazing, funny, welcoming, generous host family who have made my time in Tolon so comfortable; I have really enjoyed the journey so far and hope the next two and a half months are just as incredible!” - Alice


 “I am in a profession that deals with enabling people to have control over their health and their lives. I have the dream of enriching my knowledge and skills in human relations in society, capacity building and human empowerment. I also hope to make friends from across Ghana and the UK. I hope that our team will leave a legacy here in Tolon.” - Enock


 “I signed up to the ICS programme because I wanted to see the world from a new perspective and experience a completely different culture to mine.” - Kawal


“I am a graduate of High School and currently a compassionate supporter of international development and a dedicated forest restorer. I hope working with ICS will aid me to gain confidence and learn how to work cross culturally. I have played a great role as a member of the transport team and hope to make more of an impact to have a successful NFED and ICS goals achievement.” - Rahaman


“I applied because I wanted to make a difference while seeing a new part of the world. My favourite moment so far has been going into my selected community and attempting to dance with the drummers and other village members. I have learnt to be adaptable, for example showering using a bucket and using a toilet that is a hole in the ground.”  - Nat


“I decided to join International Service because I want to acquire new skills and also share the knowledge I have.” - Ihsan


“I decided to do ICS because I wanted to travel whilst being fully immersed in different cultures, while also make an impact. My favourite part so far has been becoming part of a community, and learning the local language Dagbani. Highlights have also included visiting chiefs and taking part in community events.” – Kim 


 “I decided to do ICS because I wanted to see a positive change in my community. My favourite part so far has been my time in the office because I am learning a lot from that.” - Gifty


 “Living and volunteering in Ghana for the past couple of weeks has been eye opening and challenging to say the least. From drop toilets to cycling with bags of water attached to my bicycle through the midday heat, new experiences have been around every corner.” - Yasmin


 “I have enjoyed my time in Tolon so far, but what really scared me is the food we eat and the journey to the communities we’ll be working in. In all I have found the program to be very interesting and hope that it will bring a good impact to the people in the district of Tolon.” - Elizabeth

For me, I chose to apply for International Citizen Service (ICS) because I wanted to do something worthwhile and that would push me out of my comfort zone before heading to University. I’m already learning so much and know this experience will stay with me for a lifetime. My favourite moment has got to be fetching water with the women in my host family, and attempting to carry it on my head as they do. It was a great way to get involved in family life.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment